The title of this blog reflects our mission in life: heaven. It is a difficult journey that requires faith and stamina. Have you ever done a cardio workout on the stair-mill? It's like trying to go up the down escalator. It really takes a lot of effort to get to the top, but it's worth it. Your body is healthier for it. The same can be said as we make our way to the top of the stairwell to heaven. It's a long and arduous trek, but our soul is better for it.


Monday, September 20, 2010

I Don't Have Enough To Do!

Idle hands are the devil's handiwork!


Well, if that's the case, that sorry b@$!@#d doesn't stand a chance with me. If only it were that simple. That loser is tossing temptations my way every few seconds. I shouldn't be so flippant about it. It's a very serious thing. It's called a battle for a reason. The fight is on. I get a lot of inspiration from the image of St. Michael stomping on Satan's head. I want to be just like him. I say his prayer everyday -- sometimes several times!

I've been getting up at 5am to get a jump on the day. I have a dozen subjects to correct each day for my two older students. How does a full time teacher with a classroom of 30 students do it? I am pretty sure that I am busier than I have ever been, but it's the most satisfying feeling I have felt in a long time. Teaching, cleaning, cooking, taxi, my professional job. It doesn't seem burdensome. It's lovely and natural, way more than it used to be.

One of my major weaknesses is impatience. I have a short fuse. I want things done right and I want them done now! My main concern when we decided to home school was whether or not my temperament would be conducive to the success of this project. Patience has been at the top of my prayer request list since we started. God, in His infinite goodness, has not disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I certainly struggle with the same temptation to fly off the handle. Unfortunately, Satan knows my weaknesses and feeds on them. But my awareness seems to have become so keen, that I am able to keep it toned down. I wonder if my kids would agree? My mother wouldn't, bless her heart. (I'm workin' on it, Ma!) My eldest, much like his father, has a knack for always giving the "right" answer to those types of questions. When I dig deeper and ask if he's trying to not hurt my feelings, his eyes will twinkle and he'll smile and keep quiet. He loves his mama. His silence in answering is a good indication I'm not doing as well as I think I am. Aha! Another snare of the devil -- pride. My list could go on and on.

How will I counteract this barrage of challenges to my concupiscence (my tendency toward sin) without despairing? I will look to Jesus Christ Himself, and come at those challenges with faith, hope, and love (1 Corinthians 13). Satan can't defeat you when those are your "weapons" of choice -- and arm yourself with a shield of faith (Ephesians 6:10-17). Always be on your guard. There's a spiritual combat going on around every corner. Don't worry, with the help of St. Michael, we'll get it done.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humble pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits who wander about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen!

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! Your writing skills are very good,too, so maybe you could consider something in that direction during your spare time................xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a great inspiration, Kristin!! I'm glad to hear that things are going well-- you're in my prayers!!

    And don't get too down on yourself with your struggles... sometimes God helps us grow in patience (and trust in Him!) by letting us fall to our root sins over and over again so that we might realize that it is only through His grace, not our own effort, that they are overcome. The patient person will continually beg God for this grace, but will recognize that He gives it freely, in His own timing!!

    ReplyDelete