The title of this blog reflects our mission in life: heaven. It is a difficult journey that requires faith and stamina. Have you ever done a cardio workout on the stair-mill? It's like trying to go up the down escalator. It really takes a lot of effort to get to the top, but it's worth it. Your body is healthier for it. The same can be said as we make our way to the top of the stairwell to heaven. It's a long and arduous trek, but our soul is better for it.


Sunday, October 13, 2013

It Is Always Possible to Love More

Today I am extra proud of my parish and particularly, my parish priest and boss, Reverend Matthew Oakland. Unafraid to preach the truth, he laid out what the Church teaches on artificial contraception and Natural Family Planning in such a clear and loving way during this weekend's homily. This is a hot topic and largely ignored by a vast number of Roman Catholics. We couldn't be more blessed to have such a young and faithful leader. We also have 6 teachers in training, who can competently teach others how to effectively practice the Billings Ovulation Method. More information on the science and specifics can be found here.

I was asked to give my personal testimony about why my husband and I use the Billings Ovulation Method, and why practicing NFP is so important to us. I thought I would share what I wrote with you here. I am hoping that others who may be on the fence about this particular Church teaching, will prayerfully consider giving it a try.

Image of the Holy Family, model of virtue and love.

Why NFP?
Since we are created in the image and likeness of God and God is love, then we are to love each other as deeply as possible – in a way that is most like the way God loves us. Natural Family Planning gives us an opportunity to love our spouse, children and ourselves in a more profound way. “It also teaches us that fertility is a blessing, a reality of life that is accepted, instead of a problem to be solved.” 

My husband, Randy, and I have been married for 18 years. Randy was not Catholic when we married (although he did convert later), but he knew that trying to be faithful to the Church’s teaching on artificial contraception was important to me, so he went along with it. As we worked on understanding this teaching despite the mainstream culture’s pull away from it, we discovered John Paul II’s, Theology of the Body, and his beautiful words that so eloquently explain the importance of recognizing the dignity in each human being – that we are not objects for each other’s gratification. Our bodies are holy and we are to use them in a loving and holy way.  We also discovered an inexplicable freedom when we trusted in God with reckless abandon. And by reckless abandon, I don’t mean that we expected to have dozens of children. I mean that we learned the science and anatomy behind our fertility and we trusted that God had designed us just the way he wanted us and the system that he had naturally blessed us with worked! And it does. We have three children ages 15, 13 and 7. None were a surprise. We felt like we knew what we were doing and it was part of God’s plan for us. 

The Church’s teaching on Natural Family Planning has given my husband and me an opportunity to grow in holiness. It has increased our ability to communicate. While it was a little tricky at first, we now comfortably share what is going on emotionally and physically regularly throughout the week. Even though I have always loved God with my whole heart, I have found that it is still possible to love Him more each day. In this same way is my love for my husband. In embracing and practicing Natural Family Planning, Randy has shown not only his love and respect for God, but also he shows his love and respect for me. This makes me love him all the more. I look at the man and see his holiness and devotion and it inspires me to strive for the same. Our goal as married couples is to help each other get to heaven. I know he is helping me a great deal. 

Natural Family Planning has also changed the way we view children. Every child is a gift, no matter how difficult the situation. God calls us all to surrender our desires to serve others. Children give us yet another opportunity to show God’s love to the world. True peace and happiness comes from the sacrificial love we can give each other.

Let's ask for the intercession of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta as we contemplate God's call to practice Natural Family Planning in our own lives. Blessed Mother Teresa was a strong proponent of the Billings Ovulation Method. She was very successful in teaching this method to the poor and down trodden-women to which she ministered to in Calcutta.
Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment